Philadelphia's Independence Blue Cross isn't shy about leveraging its Healthy Steps campaign, which began in social media, in other customer engagement channels.
The latest addition to the family, following a pedometer app for smartphones, is a freestanding kiosk on display as part of a series of company-sponsored health fairs at the Philadelphia Airport.
Users of the IBX Healthy Steps kiosk can, according to an IBX release:
- learn how far they walked using a virtual map of the airport, or plan a walk to burn off a meal;
- get quick responses to questions they may have about health symptoms and other hot health topics;
- watch brief videos targeted to the concerns of many travelers: stress, relaxation, and nutrition on the go;
- get a quote for an individual health plan or leave email for a call back from an IBC representative;
- find answers to health care reform questions.
Wait, what was that second-to-last one? The one in the lower left-hand corner of the menu? Get a quote for a health plan? SVP of marketing services John Janney explains:
We didn't view the kiosk as something being built only for an airport. This was more about us taking that kiosk concept, initially piloting it in an airport, see what benefits it provided, what works and what could be enhanced. A number of people today are out trying to purchase insurance for themselves. And, this is targeted at an individual: We said, 'Let's make it available to them while they're there, instead of telling them they have to go home and go on our website.'
In other news, IBX released its first mobile app not related to Healthy Steps this week. Available for iOS and Android devices, the app allows users to view their personal health record, find a provider, view open referrals and check their health savings account balance.
Nathan Golia is senior editor of Insurance & Technology. He joined the publication in 2010 as associate editor and covers all aspects of the nexus between insurance and information technology, including mobility, distribution, core systems, customer interaction, and risk ... View Full Bio